For this step, I use Market Samurai. It’s fast, easy to read, and has a ton of other features that I use regularly for internet marketing. It’s my favorite tool for doing research when building a new site and because it’s a one-time fee and I’ve used it for several years now, the cost has probably worked out to $.13/day and dropping.
If you don’t have Market Samurai (affiliate link), you can use the free version of Traffic Travis for this step. Instructions for replicating the SEO competition check can be found in this free PDF: How to Use Traffic Travis Competition Module
1. Bring up the Market Samurai application
2. Click on New Project
3. Enter the first phrase from your spreadsheet of starter keyword ideas (minus any brackets Google inserted)
4. Click the tab button to get your cursor in the next box. This will auto-populate the remaining boxes for the project.
5. Click the Create button
6. Click the icon for the SEO Competition module
7. Click the Generate Results button
8. Go through the Market Samurai SEO Competition module results and look at these columns:
a. PR – this stands for Page Rank and tells you the page rank of that ranking URL. Ideally, you’d like to see that there are at least three results with a Page Rank of 1 or less.
b. BLP – this stands for Backlinks to the Page and tells you how many backlinks are showing up for each URL. Ideally, you’d like to see at least three results in the Market Samurai list that have <10 backlinks.
9. Go to Google and search for the same phrase that you just ran through Market Samurai. Bring up each of the listings on the first page of Google and browse through the pages. This is your competition for that phrase. What is the site like? Is it professional? Does it have a lot of information? Would you trust the site? How is the writing? If there’s already a site targeting that phrase and the content looks really good, high quality, and unique then you might want to skip that niche idea and look at the others on your list
10. Repeat the steps above for each of the starter keyword ideas on your spreadsheet
The main objective is to see if there are at least three pages on the first page of Google with a page rank of 1 or less and at least three pages on the first page of Google that have less than ten backlinks.
That last step – actually looking at the sites on the first page – is just to check the quality of the competition so that you have a feel for the level of quality you’ll be competing against.
Select the best starter keyword on your list. The best one will have the highest search volume, the most PR0-PR1s on the first page of Google, and the most pages with <10 backlinks.
Fenix Raw is from melcleaning.co.uk and a University Lecturer. She loves to write on technical topics like http://melcleaning.co.uk/domestic-cleaning-ironing/. She is writing from last three years.