A blog: A forum where posts have an equal and also an adverse reaction! This definition may appear facetious but on closer examination is nigh on genuine. Indeed, the exponential proliferation of blogs coupled with the anonymity afforded by the World Wide Web has prompted several people to vent their frustration, vitriol, and anger liberally.
As a blogger, initial negative reactions to your posts can be unnerving, intimidating, and even prompt you to react in the same acrid fashion. How you respond will ultimately determine the success of your blog and see it through turbulent times. The ensuing guidelines will point you in the right direction on how best to deal with unfavorable blog remarks:
1. Control your emotions: Approach each unpleasant comment in a detached, dispassionate manner. Don’t let your emotions get in the way of your sagacious judgment. Doing so will only lead to further acrimony and time consumption.
2. Be pragmatic:
- Understand that the Internet is an independent medium and there are several people in the sphere who want to express their opinions owing to the freedom it bestows. Realize that their comments, after all, manifest the popularity and visibility of your blog.
- If such comments form a minuscule part of your entire blog, it is best to ignore them given their irrelevance.
- Analyze the seemingly negative comments and see whether they merit being labeled as such; there might be shreds of authenticity in the remarks. If that be the case, you would do well to accept your mistakes gracefully and move on.
3. Adopt courtesy: Whatever the provocation, civility and politeness should not be forsaken. Now and then, it may also prove beneficial to convey gratitude to the commentators – this may reduce their aggression.
4. Be patient: Most adverse comment makers are just looking to rile you and invite counter-comments. Hence, instead of replying in an impulsive way, it is sometimes prudent to let the negative comments be – they will soon stop or dissipate.
5. Show courage: Entertaining negative comments will project you as a dynamic and spirited person in the eyes of you visitors. Thus it is a good policy to occasionally exhibit bravery and openness.
6. Exert better control: Your blog belongs to you – you created it and hold all the keys. If the comments are indeed hurtful or offensive, it is wise to delete them and thus ward off unwholesome vibes. Through sophisticated identification, ISP tracking, and online anti-spam tools available nowadays, you can easily track the comment perpetrators and prevent them from posting future remarks.
7. Broadcast blog rules: Sometimes unsavory comments get through due to the absence or even the non-highlighting of your blog’s code of conduct. This makes unscrupulous visitors take advantage of your laxity. Therefore, you must frame effective blog rules with clear guidelines on negative comments and the methods they will be dealt with. It is worthwhile to display the rules vividly on your blog or alternatively have a prominent hyperlink.
8. Enlist online community assistance: If managing the negative comments proves to be an uphill job, don’t hesitate to solicit support from your followers, online friends, and other similar bloggers. Through them, you can obtain important advice and further tips on how to cope with negative posts. In fact, many times these groups proactively move to keep adverse commentators at bay.
Bottom-line: Just follow the above suggestions and you won’t see your blog being bogged down by negativity again!